Many folks carry around a lot of “baggage” or “clutter” that weigh heavily on their minds. They are people who hold on to stuff for many years that should have been dealt with a long time ago. It maybe have been a misunderstanding with a colleague, friend or family member, a rumor with no foundation, or someone maybe have wronged you unintentionally.
For years you may not have spoken to that person or extended forgiveness, but really want to. These are a few examples of the baggage that hold you back, things you need to let go of. Carrying around such load can be emotional and stressful.
Stress that you can do without! You could be focusing on something more productive instead! Is this person you?
If it is, I am sure it had a negative influence on your confidence and self esteem. How can you solve this problem?
Take a look at your life and get rid of this baggage by asking yourself a series of questions and by completing the following exercise.
What we will be doing is “completing” what we’ve been holding on to, drawing a line under them and moving on.
We know something is complete when it no longer requires our attention. The following set of questions can be taken at
one sitting or over a number of hours/days. By writing the answers down, they become more formal. Start now and watch your confidence level grow.
1. Write it down!
• Make a list of 10 things that you are tolerating
with at home
• Make a list of 10 things that you are putting
up with at work
• Make a list of 10 things that you are enduring in any other area of your life.
• Make an action plan to eliminate or communicate these things that you have been putting up with.
2. Handle your business, take action now!
• Make a list of things that are unresolved or incomplete in your life
• Make an action plan of how to reduce this number!
• Do you need to clear the air or forgive anyone? Well, just do it! Life is Uncertain!
• Did you ever say that you were going to call someone or keep in touch with someone and yet have done nothing about it? If yes, call them or send an email to them today.
• Let go of as many uncertainties and doubts as you can. Write these down.
3. Stick to your principles!
• Write down the principles that you have been saying to yourself that you
should not have; let go of these and write down a list of the principles that you are going to have in your life from today and in the future.
• List 5 people who you admire the most (role models). Identify their greatest qualities, behavior and how they lead their life. What principles do they have? What principles could you start adopting today to be more like them?
• Respect that the principles of others will be different from your own. Think of (5) close colleagues or friends – what are their principles and how are these different to yours?
By completing these exercises you will be able to focus more on the present and the future. You will now be able to eliminate the ‘baggage’or clutter that have been absorbing your valuable time and causing you much stress. Over the next several days your self esteem and confidence will soar alarmingly.